Thursday 27 February 2020

Reading


My reading for week 5

Hi folks so for this week I finally got feedback on how my progression has been going and overall I feel like I am getting back on course for doing it the correct way. I decided in the future for getting my sources to stick to using google scholar instead of using my colleges libraries sources. I may change my mind on this in the future but until then im gonna stick with this program. 

So from the feedback session I had with my lecturer I wrote down  what I am required to use in the future and a research method to help me have a process to work upon (and possibly improve in the future). this includes the following things

  1. Collecting material on the topic
  2. take notes/ read material
  3. look for things in common between them , such as topics themes etc
  4. making each theme into its own heading/paragraph
  5. Writing content on the paragraph of readings
Now that I have gone over my research plan. I am going to place below some of the references I have chosen and discuss why I think they are relevant or not.

As you probably know from my previous blog unlike many others researching two different subjects for the book I am focusing on on being "Serious Games". In doing so I have found these below which I feel are helpful in me understanding more about serious games and why.


Source 1
The first source I looked at this week was Serious Games: Games That Educate, Train, and Inform as i found it interesting as it was written by David R Michael who has been a successful independent software developer for over 10 years. The book was published back in 2005, meanwhile the other author Sande  Chen has been active in the gaming industry for over five years and was even a speaker at the 2005 game developers conference. Having this book from the perspective of two people working within the topic of serious games offers much potential insight as it allows us to look at many things to do with it. overall I didnt find too much to read on this but figured I would give it a try as I found having it come from two perspectives in the industry it may be more informative.


Source 2

The second source I found was titled Serious Games: An Overview by Susi, Tajra and Johannesson, Mikaek and Backlund, per  )and discussed that not only what serious games are and how it may benefit a player in ways such as allowing players to experience certain situations in a more safe and risk free way as well as saving the player/ training any other ways in both timing and cost effectiveness.  I also liked that this source labelled the types of fields/markets in which these games may be explored. from things such as education and health care to things such as military training and corporate games. The report also allows some insight into serious games in both the European and North American Market. allowing me to branch out from my previous source from last week targeting one countries perspective and instead focus the perspective from a more global standpoint.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Skövde: Institutionen för kommunikation och information , 2007. , p. 28


Source 3

For my third source I found this reading titled "Why So Serious, on the relation of serious games and learning"https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00692052/ as well as a PDF  describing many issues such as  addressing how although serious games are becoming more popular , as well as discuss possibilities for serious games in terms of an educational usage and the inclusion of more potential COTS (commercial off the shelf games) for the purpose learning. I found this interesting to read as it focused on things such as comparing other similar educational concepts such as elearning and education from an entertainment standpoint(ex TV) to serious games to show more relations than at first glance.


Overall I feel I am getting a better perspective of what I need in order to progress in the coming weeks as well as feel I need to start getting the sources placed back into the matrix to make putting my contribution to book easier overall and to learn how to do Harvard referencing more in the future so that I can work with it n future assignments.



No comments:

Post a Comment