Thursday 21 November 2019

Alpha


Dillon Eagers Project week 9

Link to image :here

Alpha
I unfortunately do not have a alpha stage for this assignment complete yet as I have been struggling extremely with the Unity program to make my game as I have stated in previous project blogs, However I do feel with the work I have done this week to correct this error below that I will honestly have much better progress with the Unity stage in the coming weeks up to deadline.


Whats working and what I am finding difficult
While working on this assignment I feel that the following things have been working for me quite well overall these include.
  • Keeping up with the weekly blogs each week both with submitting them on time and assuring they have the content required in order to complete the task.
  • I have been looking at ways t simplify my unity problem through YouTube tutorials n things such as environment design and character design as well as how to things on unity like manipulate shapes and sizes.
  • Having finally sketched out concepts for things to make in unity such as the prototypes I have been struggling to produce the past few weeks.
  • Keeping up on the feedback from the lecturer weekly through audio messages to see were I can improve overall.
  • Looking at other medias for inspiration such as films/ game franchises and peoples opinions on the game design industry
However I do also feel there is things in which I need to improve on such as
  • Making the environment in unity for my game or at least prototypes
  • Making the characters for my game or at least prototypes
  • Making buildings for my games village
  • making a swan ( antagonist for the game)
  • Making objects( such as lamp posts, ice cream cones for power ups etc) for the game or at least prototypes
  • Trying to do the weekly extra credit stuff to get my marks up a little
  • Doing mst of my blogs at the start of the week to have more free time to work on things later in the week( although I feel I am improving a lot on this one point.)
I have started focusing more on Unity and have even drawn up sketch concepts n what I am going to make for my game these include the following items.

  1. The games map: I figure the best way for me to position everything was to make a map of how the layout could look with some planning from an overhead perspective. This sketch concept can be seen below.
  2. Character design: This was the best way fr me to make my characters (police officer one, police officer 2 and the antagonist the swans) design using shapes to form their body features. This sketch can be seen below if you are curious how it looked.
  3. Building designs:In order to make the village look like it has more variety when it comes to its architecture I added 6 concept for building designs using common shapes I can easily find and use on unity such as squares, triangles and circles. These images can be seen below.

  4. Objects/ Possible obstacles: These sketches I did up were of things I could add to the map to add variety and to give the world more character. these included lamp posts, ice cream cone designs for power ups to match the cornetto joke from the movie and parking stops for cars to add more design to the empty sidewalks of the city. These concept sketches can be seen below.
  5. Textures for items on map:The final thing that I considered was textures I could add to my games map such as the following
  • Tarmac texture for roads
  • Cobblestone texture for pathways and sidewalks
  • Grass textures for parks, fields and gardens
  • fence textures for walls, fences
  • Water textures for ponds
All of these textures can be seen in the image below this text.






Meeting My Targets
I feel with making these concept sketches for how I can make realistic things in Unity in the time I still have left, that it has given me plenty of ideas to work with for the next few weeks and although I am nervous about continuing to use the Unity program I like that I have a more solid and realistic  game plan and can start working from what I have produced from this and to hopefully add more in from my previous blogs game ideas such as sound etc. 

Conclusion
I feel I have a lot of work in the coming weeks particularly in unity , but also feel if i stay up to date with my blogs , as well as start building my items in unity that it will pay off overall in the long run.
I hope you all enjoyed reading my project post week and am looking forward to receiving some more feedback overall.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Dillon, I have just gone and read through your game's Alpha and it looks well done. I must draw attention to the ice cream power up, I really enjoy your reference to it being a cornetto specifically just like in Hot Fuzz. Brainfreeze? No, brainwave. One thing I can recommend to you is to check out the Asset store Unity has on offer, they provide loads of different assets for the various things you might be looking for online. Having these assets can save you loads of time in creating these objects completely from scratch, I am using assets from online myself and they are really lovely I feel. Regarding the power ups, what purpose would the power ups serve? Do they give your player character a speed boost? Extra time? Overall, I really do enjoy your game idea its original, its funny andmuch like Hot Fuzz being a great homage to over the top action movies, this is a great homage to the film itself.

    *honk*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dillon,

    Your concept for your game alpha looks really good! I like how detailed your sketches you drew out are and feel that they'll really help you out as references when you start developing your game in Unity. I really like the diversity of your map and how you drew out your planned character models!

    Have you started thinking about how to implement your power up features? There is quite a bit of scripting involved with all your ideas and it might be good to find a tutorial you think you could follow which would help you with that. Jimmy Vegas has several series of tutorials which could help you!

    To help you with assets, I would recommend looking at the online Unity store and typing in the word "Free" in the search bar. Lots of free models, assets and textures come along this way and you can further refine your search to find exactly what you're looking for.

    All the best,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dillon.

    I can understand that everyone's game is not in alpha stage yet. Unity can be pain to use at times. But you have some great concepts that's ready to put made into the game and that's always some progress. Your game as of now is taking shape and that's a great thing to see.

    Don't overwork yourself too much, just get the asset you need from the asset store and make up for whatever you're missing with place-holders.
    You can polish it later when you're done with the codes and such.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there Dillion,
    I loved reading your blog about the Alpha version of your game. The layout of your blog is excellent and made it very easy for me to keep track of everything. I do not think you should be upset or worried about the fact that you did not have your Alpha version of your own game done yet. I also find Unity to be difficult at times and this will make me angry and start to think that I will not get the game done but I just simplify my game down as sometimes it will be too unrealistic. Do you think you will be able to get your game done? I have faith that you will be able to complete your game. The drawings you have done are excellent and the game looks really good. You have a great idea of what you want to do and hopefully you can put the ideas into the Unity.
    Cya Soon,
    Aaron Hogan.

    ReplyDelete