Friday 15 November 2019

prototype "first playable "


Dillon Eagers: Project week 8

So for my progress on my project in week 8 , I am focusing on rewatching videos from the first few Jimmy Vegas tutorial videos so That I can make the following things in unity in the coming weeks. These include the following.

(1) Jimmy Vegas tutorial one here will be to focus on things such as  
  • To learn controls better on unity (move around, zoom etc)
  • How to  use Play button  to try game .
  • How to use inspector panels
  • Object settings such as making shapes to build buildings in my game.
  • The use of assets
  • Positioning
  • How to scale objets for different sizes.
  • Use of box collider
(2) Jimmy Vegas tutorial two here will focus on
  • How to add textures/ assets
  • How to raise terrain for mountains and dips for lakes
  • How to paint textures
  • How to change opacity and smooth height

(3) Jimmy Vegas tutorial three here will focus on 
  • Adding items to terrain such as trees and grass (will be beneficial in making countryside aspect of my map)
  • How to change opacity/ shade of colour on sections and items
  • Player addition
  • First look at script
I have also been watching videos by this youtuber called Aaron Hibberd as he shows how to make a character from scratch using only basic shapes such as spheres and cylinders. This may prove beneficial in making not only the swan for my game but also the two cop characters. He also has videos on how to as moving mechanics to the character you design which may prove beneficial in my coming weeks.
Link to image from video here

I have also recently began looking back over other peoples videos on unity that were recently uploaded on wakelet which is linked here . 

I feel that the list of actions below is my best approach for the coming weeks in trying to progress on unity and I feel that I need to start working on this as soon as possible. i am hoping t have the following items at least started next monday and hopefully work from there on progressing it in the coming weeks.
  1. Making the map layout for the game
  2. Making items to create the village such as shapes to look like buildings such as squares and rectangles.
  3. To add textures such as colour, lighting , trees, roads and objects to look like lamposts. 
  4. I also need to look over how to add certain textures such as grass or cobblestone walk paths for example.
  5. The final thing I need to start working on is the 3 characters, the two police officers and the swan.(Note: I can worry about hopefully adding random pedestrian npcs later to make the village look more detailed)
I do realise also that I will probably have to scrap certain levels maybe focus on just one or two at most at the moment as it give me a realistic project to make in the time I am given to make it in the coming weeks.

Overall as I have been discussing each week the technical making aspect on unity 3D game engine has been my biggest challenge during this game development process and I feel that I need to just focus on producing a little bit more each week from Unity to get my Game back on track overall. I feel I have been doing ok on the research aspect of the game ,as well I have been keeping up with my blog comments each week.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dillon, I read through your prototype document and I must say you seem to have a very good idea of where you want your final game to go.

    The layout of this blog post was very easy to navigate around and laid out very good.

    I can see that you have certain times you want stuff to be completed which is really good as it gives you a good structure on managing your time well.

    Maybe limiting your levels down a bit would be a good idea because then you can put more time and effort into those rather then having a few and having to rush them.

    I can tell that you know what you want to achieve in this game which is great so the best of luck with your final game, Keep working away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dillion
    I really like this post. It looks like your game is coming along nicely. You seem to have a great idea on what your game will look like. I liked how you linked your videos and say what the video does with this I’m able to see what will be in your game and what you’re working on. I also liked the image you used it’s a good way for me to know what the character making is like.
    Have you consider making using assets online for your characters instead of making them it would be easier and take up less of your time.
    I would suggest making your game with less levels so that you will have more time to focus on making the gameplay and you will also be able to mange your time and not be stressed.
    Overall this game is looking good. Good luck
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete