Friday 11 October 2019

"game Idea research"


Dillon Eagers Game research Ideas

Link to the image here 

For this blog I am doing research into the project topic "Game Mechanics".  The Idea I chose to continue researching was  my first idea which was a simulator where you  are trying to catch a swan as two goofy police officers as a parody of the iconic/comedic scene from hot fuzz where both police officers are trying to catch an escaped swan for one of the towns locals.  It would be a 3D game ,with an environment styled after the town of Wells where the film was made, or at least parts of the town. I also want to find a way to make the game more challenging so I considered  giving the levels time limits and goals keeping the player alert and focused on passing the level and giving it a challenge.

Overall I am finding it hard to describe 3 possible game mechanics as when I was looking up it I found it hard to find examples due to their being no definitive answer to what game mechanics are between academics and game designers . The only way I found to describe it is as an item/object/ moving platform and how the player responds/reacts to it. Like how Mario had to avoid being hit by barrels in "Donkeykong". The three Mechanics I decided to focus on today was
  • How my character chasing the swan reacts to the powerups, (Which is by increasing his speed  or reach when chasing the swan).
  • Having obstacles such as hedges,bushes, bikes and water that the player must avoid or it will slow them down giving the swan more distance to escape (adding challenge).
  • How the swan(antagonist reacts) when the player grows nearer to it.



For inspiration on this idea/concept I came across a trailer for a PS4 game titled "The Unfinished swan" which when I watched it reminded me of the type of environment I would love to make in unity for my title which judging by the similarities is very doable  with the 3D options given to us by unity. I feel like This trailer really catches the perspective of  how I want to design the city/ Town in my game. I also took inspiration from a game called "Untitled goose game" as it was  a great use of design and color , as i feel it would really add the warm country village style I am interested in presenting in my game. 

  • The unfinished swan trailer link here
  • The untitled goose game game-play link here
  • The Unfinished swan wiki page here
  • The Untitled goose game Wikipedia here
  • Film locations from the movie hot fuzz here


Possible ideas for the game
  1. Add Cornetto Cones as Power ups  or ice-cream cones as a reference to the trilogy the movie is based off ( possibly aiding players speed/agility)
  2. Make cover for game of game using hot fuzz logo but add swan recapture in red to add intensity and make it look more sinister for comedic purposes.
  3. Use bits from movie soundtrack to edit into game to help with intro ,outre or upgrade sounds for protagonist.Soundtrack 1 here, Soundtrack 2 here
  4. Add small references to the movie to bits from the movie (Easter eggs for the fans to find props ,characters, phrases etc.)

I feel good about this Idea overall and am looking forward to Researching and making it with unity in the coming weeks.

So in finishing up this blog I shall leave a link below tho the scene that inspired me to do this , as my game idea in the first place.Click here

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dillion
    I like the idea of this game it's silly but fun concept for a game. I think the mechanic of having obstacles in the way of the character makes the game more of a fun challenge. Also having the swan react to the player can give the game more and the sawn would act like a real sawn would.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dillon,

    I really like the idea of the game you have chosen and the fact it's based off a scene from Hot Fuzz is very interesting and will make the game more unique. Power-ups would be a great addition to your game, they seem like a mechanic you could really have fun with exploring. Adding references to the movie is also a great idea for fans of Hot Fuzz to try find.

    Before the game starts would you get a choice of who you want to play or would it be strictly multiplayer?

    It would be really cool to try and research some sound effects that you could add for both your character and the swan, I think that there would be some really good effects that would add more comedic elements to your game! Overall your game sounds really fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dillon,

    I really like your concept for your game! I like the silly, humorous style of the game and feel that it'll be a joy to play once its developed. The idea of power ups is a cool one, allowing players to have a momentary boost in abilities will add a sense of strategy to the game! I also like how you're throwing references to Hot Fuzz in the game, I think it's very clever and a nice touch.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the development of this game!

    - Kay

    ReplyDelete