Thursday 3 October 2019

unity tutorial 01 Dillon Eagers

for link to image click here 

So to first get my footing started on understanding unity and its tools I watched 3 Videos by a Youtuber called Jimmy Vegas

Link to video 1 here

One thing I can say from watching the first video and looking at the layout of the program is that I love that there is a hierarchy that  which is where you store all the game objects in the scene.So it is basically the text format for everything that you see on the screen. when you click on the items in hierarchy you can select anything in the scene. It gave me a few things to know when using the controls such as
  • Clicking right on the mouse button allows the user to pan around
  • Clicking left on the mouse button  is to select things
  • scrolling the middle mouse wheel allows me to zoom and clicking it allows you to shift your scene around when a little hand icon appears.
The game tab shows what the game is presented as when I press play allowing me to test it and to use the inspector panel .

The project window allows us to bring our assets into the game and the console allows me to fix errors by bringing me to them.
I like that your saved files go to assets which makes it easier to find.

Link to video 2 here

For the second video I watched it focused on textures and this was what i gathered from the video 
  • Using inspector panel you can change the texture type.
  • Increasing the opacity changes the color to solid. (good for mixing many textures together).
  • Smooth height can be used to smooth everything out.
  • Shade is used to test how things look on a particular object
Link to video 3 here

For the third and final video I watched it focused on things such as lighting and coding below are some things I learned from the video.
  • Prefab is basically a collection of objects (make sure to drag collider out of ground or it can result in lay falling through ground.
  • The controls are mouse to look around, WASD to move around and hold shift to run. allowing you to walk around in the world you create.
  • trees can be found in the terrain option (make sure to watch brush size so it does not make it too big or small).You can also set the wind speed of the grass.
From watching these tutorial videos i feel a bit more confident when it comes to trying out unity, however I feel i need to do more practice with the Unity program itself as there was a lot to take in within the three jimmy Vegas video's I watched and may take a bit to get use to the settings.



No comments:

Post a Comment