Saturday 26 October 2019

Game Design Document


Game Design Document

I decided to make my GGD using a site called Dunroc there is a link to it Here

My GGD

For my Game Design Document I have decided to focus on the following aspects of the game as can be seen below.

Story: The story is about you ,one of two cops/ police officers that is tasked with catching swans that have escaped. Throughout the game trying to catch them across different levels. 

Characters: The characters you will see in the game are the two police officers of which will be the only two playable characters, the swans they are trying to catch along with the guy from the intro who gives you the task and random villager npcs that will be there mainly for aesthetic purposes 

environmental levels: The game will consist of 4 levels the first being the intro level on castle grounds, the second being the garden level taking place around a garden/ greenhouses with items such as gardening equipment you have to avoid, for the third it will be based around the back alleys of village estate and the final level will take place around the town square. Below are some visual perspectives to help imagine said settings and all were found from the site Movie locations, as can be found here



  1. Level 1: Castle Grounds
  2. Level 2: Garden level
  3. Level 3: Back alleys of housing estates
  4. Level 4 Final level: Town Square

Note: If you finish the game once you unlock both police officers which gives new dialog to the player for incentive to replay levels again.

Gameplay
"Gameplay is the specific way in which players interact with a game" The way in which a player will interact within the game is by avoiding obstacles through levels by hopping over them or walking around them. By picking up power-ups such as ice cream cones to help the player in a way catch the swan easier, to even how the swan interacts when the player gets near it. It could also be how the players characters interact with each other, the swan or how differently the act when using a power up in the game.


Art Description
The art style of this game I feel should be a mix of colorful to match the village's warm countryside  feeling/ aesthetic, with an almost comic style to it also ,as it will match the action style of the hero the two examples I am getting inspiration from are linked below 

Inspiration 1 Untitled Goose game:The reason I chose this title again as I have mentioned it in many of my blogs is because I personally love how the creator/creators of the game gave it such a colorful almost pop are style to design as it really brings color and warmth to the setting.

Link to image here

Inspiration 2 Scott pilgrim vs the world game:  The reason I chose this title was because the art style they used which was a comic art format really helped improve the action scenes in the game aesthetically.This I feel could be very beneficial to the intense chasing scenes in my game ,as well as help show off the environments a lot more. 


Link to image 2 here



Sound/audio: For the sounds in the game I wish to keep the village soundtrack from the  actual hot fuzz movie as the main theme, But have placed a list below of considerations for other things.
  • Main background soundtrack for each of the levels here ( I chose this as it has a comical beat to it ,which would help add a comical aspect to the levels as the two bumbling police officers chase after and try to catch the swan.
  • The second sound I wanted to add was this more intense upbeat song here ,which would only play in the game when the character acquires a power-up 
  • Other sounds I did consider having were morning village ambiance here to add a relaxing feeling before the intensity of the game soundtrack kicks in.
  • One thing I have also considered was adding audio quotes from characters through out the movie with some of the npc's from the levels using them to make the environment more relatable to the film



User interface/ controls
The controls I will be using are the following as the game will be made as a mac/ pc game these are the following controls.
  • Using the up don left right button to move in said direction
  • Using the space button in order to jump over obstacles that may get in your was such as bins or walls
  • Using the mouse to be able to look around the game environment as you move through it.
  • Enter button to select between items, Characters/levels
  • Pause button to pause game whenever you need it
  • Mute button/ volume button to control games audio settings.
My thoughts
Overall I feel that I gained a lot more insight in the things I need to consider working on for the game as well as developing more of a structure for it using the site Dundoc. I feel more confident going forward with this game although there are still a few tweaks I need to work out also. I hope you enjoyed reading this blog as much as I enjoyed writing it .

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    Dillon
    This Game design Document is very well done. I like the idea for the game. The layout of this is done well and was able to understand how the game will work. I also like the use of the pictures to show what the game will look like.

    Have you consider making the game multiplayer since there is two playable characters. This will be difficult to do but it will add more fun to game by being able to play with a friend. You can also expand on this by letting someone play as the swan so other players have to chase another around a level.

    I’m just confused on what the power ups will do I know they will help you catch the swan but how like will it give you more speed? Will the two playable characters have different powers or abilities . Overall I really like this this GDD
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Dillon!
    It looks like you've a very clear vision of what you want your game to be. That's great! You brought up all the important points and talked about them in great detail.
    I like that your game has a less serious tone, similar to the Untitled Goose Game. I think that we need more games like that!
    -Pawel
    P.S. The wider images stick out of the blog post, I think they might be too large

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dillon!

    You game document is very well done(much better than mine...) and your game idea is coming along very nicely.
    The game can be very intriguing to play due to the amount of scenarios the player can get into as they try their hardest trying to capture the mischievous swan.

    Just some final ideas to make the game more intriguing with a bit of depth. Can you give the two cops a 'tall-slim guy' and 'short-fat guy' dynamic? The idea behind it is that both character can act as tools to traverse the terrain in interesting ways. The tall slim cop can go through thin gaps in between things like fence gaps while the short fat cop can push or pull obstacles out of the way. This can make the wild-goose-chase, or the wild-swan-chase, a lot more varied and gives the characters a easily recognizable silhouette that makes them stand out better.

    I do have some questions though. You mentioned that you can switch between the two cops n your goal to catch the swan. However, how will the swan react? Will the swan walk further into the level whenever the players progress further or will the swan react accordingly to the amount of distance between you and itself and move away whenever you get too close?
    I have a feeling that clarifying how this will work can be beneficial.

    Anyway, hope you liked my rambling!
    Good luck on your project!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete