Saturday 19 October 2019

"Game Vision Statement"


Game Vision Statement by Dillon Eagers

Link to image here


For this weeks project I am focusing on the following  items of interest.

Game Genre
From researching other games I wish to make is a puzzle game in which  you control one of two police officers trying to catch numerous swans around a village within a timer. This will give the players both challenge to complete the task within a time frame , as well as to give them incentive to play again to beat their score giving the game replay ability status. I chose this status due to looking up what the genre of "untitled goose game" was, as It was the biggest inspiration to my game idea due to the warm village art style through warm colors  of its environment to the capability that the unity game engine could give me in creating this environment.

Here is a link to the info page where I got the type of game genre "Untitled Goose Game" , as well as other information about the title was from. Click here

I also Placed this link as I also used Wikipedia to look up the definition for puzzle video games. Click here.

Gameplay
For this I first looked up the definition of gameplay  using Google ,as can be seen in the link here states that "gameplay is the feature of a video game , such as its plot and the way it is played, as distinct from the graphics to the sound effects."

Here is an example I got fro, Wikipedia of the "Untitled Goose game" Gameplay information

"Set in an apparently middle class English village, Untitled Goose Game sees players control a goose which can honk, run, flap its wings, and grab objects with their beak to bother various human villagers. The village is split up into multiple areas, which each have a to-do list of objectives to accomplish, such as stealing certain objects or tricking humans into doing certain actions. When enough of these objectives are cleared (one less than the total amount present), an additional objective is added which, once cleared, allows the goose to move onto the next area. After completing four areas, the goose enters a miniature model of the village. There, the goose steals a bell before going back through the previous areas while the villagers try to stop them. In the game’s ending, it is revealed the goose had previously stolen many bells prior to the game's events. There are also several hidden optional objectives, many of which require traversing between multiple areas or completing an area within a time limit."

Link to info here

I also made a link to a video of 11 minutes of gameplay from "Untitled goose game" I got from YouTube click here.



Resources Required
When researching essential Resources I would require I looked up "Resources required when making a 3D game" and I ended up coming across a person called David Arcila , The curator of the ZEEF game development research page, click here for information on page. He mentions the seven essential resources to have when making a 3D game. These are the following.
  • Resource one: Lay out the plan so that you can do things such as define what your game is about.
  • Resource two: Tell a good story using things such as twine as it allows you to structure your narrative in a visual structure.
  • Resource three: Get Agile using a project management system to allow you to organise tasks and get things done.
  • Resource four: Tools using programs such as Unity  to start  allowing yourself to make a 3D based game using the engines tools.
  • Resource five: Prototypes will allow you to track your games progress, as well as to allow the creator or creators of the game to progress independently.
  • Resource six: Audio and sound  as it can improve a game greatly to the user/player of the game.
  • Resource seven: Knowledge as it is important to learn as you go along from mistakes to things that progress the progress of making your 3D game.

I found this list of resources to be very helpful in giving me a better idea of resources required and to be considered when making a 3D game or any game for that matter. You can find the page I gathered the information from here


Link to image here

Overall I feel this blog was very helpful to write out as it gave me a look into  new perspectives that I did not consider especially in the piece i read about resource. I hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I did.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dillon,

    I just read your blog and I really like how the game idea is coming along. Despite never playing the game, I have watched people play 'Untitled Goose game' and it's just so hilariously amusing. I played a game called 'Commandos 2' which is an old WW2 stealth game which your idea reminded me of.

    I have some suggestions regarding a mechanic that may be intriguing to implement.
    Recall when you said 'one of two officers'? Would it be ok to implement a Co-op mechanic where you require both officers to be in the same place to perform a certain action; for example, you need to climb over a wall, but one officer isn't enough and there are no ladders nearby.
    You can bring the second officer and lift the first officer over the wall instead. This can add a bit of interesting options to your puzzle -style gameplay.

    I also have to remind you that a good puzzle game relies on the puzzle itself. If the mechanics all work well but the puzzle fall flat, then there is no puzzle. You will need to put a bit thought into level and puzzle design to make your game really work.

    Hope you like my late-night/early morning feedback.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well a good day to you Dillon!!!

    I must say that I do love the kind of homage that you are making with your game concept idea here as I think that it will work well given the likes that a game about a mad loose goose/ swan is a very popular and I will feel that this game will be worth the "Gander" (that was a very elaborate goose pun there and I apologise for that).

    If I were ask one simple question to this game that you have here it would be is there a reason behind the goose's motive for causing such havoc that you have to try and catch it or am I looking into the a bit too deep.

    If I were to suggest one small thing to your game concept here, I think that you could always add yourself in as a playable character or as a background Character to give it a larger sense of meta in your own game.

    All in all, I feel that this will be a very interesting game concept that you have here and I look forward to how it will all turn out in the end because I think that it will be great no matter what the outcome is.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeeey Dillion!
    Okay so I think your game is such a good idea. I'm just imagining two grow police men chasing a wild swan around town while it screams at people. Literally made me laugh out loud.

    Not gonna lie, the mention of the goose game also dragged me into the idea..... totally didn't spend three hours playing it yesterday or anything.

    Anyway I can't wait to see how your game turns out!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete