Tuesday 22 October 2019

Games GGD


Games GGD Dillon Eagers
Here is a link to where I found this image click here

For this weeks reading I am focusing on design considerations mainly in improving the UI and rules writing for board games. The piece I read was by Greg Aleknevicus and it focused on the following components.

  • Make tiles smaller than the spaces they're placed upon
  • Using highly contrasting/distinguishable colors for plavers pieces
  • Use shape as well as color to distinguish pieces
  • Use different components for different functions
  • Making indices/ icons are distinct from each other
  • Starting files should be back-printed in a different color
  • Use legible and distinguishable font
My Items of interest



  • I personally was interested in the part where aleknevicus talked about in the post such as using a white border to hide imperfections and greatly reduce the chance of the deck getting marked or damaged.
  • I also like how he mentions adding extra components to a game so there is spare pieces in the event of one of the pieces being lost.
  • Another one I found to be helpful was having A FAQ response page as it helps users to be able to have their questions answered as the issues arise over time.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Dillon,

    I think that your summary of the article is spot on, and pretty much exactly what I took from it too. I like the layout if the blog post - the bullet points made it easy to read through quickly.

    It's crazy how many of the points made by the author seem so simple, but can so easily be forgotten. We'll have to keep simple things like this in mind when creating our own games.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete